What’s in Season?
As our roadside stands and tailgate markets start to open up for the season keep an eye out for fresh fruits and vegetables that are in season or coming soon:
* Radishes, * Snow Peas, * Spinach, * Strawberries, *Turnips, * Romaine, * Broccoli, * Collards, * Greens, * Lettuce, * Mushrooms.
Combine some of this healthy produce with quinoa and almonds for a protein and create a wholesome meal.
Quinoa Strawberry Salad
Quinoa is a popular grain thanks to its quick cooking time, high protein content, and nutty taste. The quinoa really soaks up the dressing in this recipe. Wait to dress the salad until right before serving.
- 1/2 cup dry quinoa
- 2 cups baby spinach leaves
- 2/3 cup strawberries, halved
- 2 tablespoons sliced almonds, toasted
- 1 handful of fresh basil leaves
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon Mustard
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
- Prepare quinoa according to package directions. Remove from heat when done.
- Combining all dressing ingredients in a bowl or jar.
- Combine remaining ingredients in a bowl.
- Add and toss in dressing just prior to serving.