June – National Fresh Fruits and Vegetables Month
June is National Fresh Fruits and Vegetables Month! When buying fresh, try to follow the “FIFO” rule–“First in, first out”–by eating fresh produce in the order you buy it.
And remember, fresh fruits and vegetables are great, but frozen or canned fruits and vegetables also have great health benefits if these are cheaper or easier to find!
Chop Chop Salad
- 1 small English cucumber, cubed or 1 regular cucumber, peeled, and cubed
- 1 cup cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 cup red bell pepper, cored, seeded and cubed
- 1 cup green beans, stem ends snapped off, cut in half
- 1/8 head red cabbage, thinly sliced (about 1 cup)
- 2 tablespoons unseasoned rice vinegar
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- Black pepper to taste
- Put all the ingredients in the bowl and toss well. Taste the salad. Does it need more vinegar, salt, or black pepper? If so, add and taste again. Serve it right away or cover and refrigerate up to 2 hours.
Source: Chop Chop The Fun Cooking Magazine for Families