Holiday Meal Planning
Planning your holiday menu in advance can do wonders for your budget!
SNAP’s More in My Basket program recommends buying shelf-stable and frozen (or freezable) items as early as you can.
For more tips and examples of shelf-stable and frozen holiday ingredients, check out SNAP’s blog post!
Common Freezer Items
- Cranberries*a highly popular item
- Frozen Breads (rolls, garlic toast)
- Frozen Fruits
- Frozen Juices for homemade punch
- Frozen Vegetables
- Meats (including breakfast meats-bacon & sausage for overnight guests)
- Pie Crusts
Don’t forget to label any freezer items you may purchase. If you aren’t able to use them at the anticipated date, you’ll be aware how long the item has been stored when used for future use. Check freezer space before grocery shopping. Spending money on items you may not have storage for is counterproductive to preparing in advance.
Common Shelf Stable Items
- Beverages (Juices, Soda, Water)
- Canned Vegetables
- Chicken/Vegetable Broth
- Chocolate Chips
- Dry Beans
- Sauces/Condiments (BBQ sauce, mayonnaise, etc.)
- Tomato Paste & Sauce