“Gardening in the Mountains” Virtual Classes Were a Success

— Written By and last updated by Deborah Hunter
en Español

El inglés es el idioma de control de esta página. En la medida en que haya algún conflicto entre la traducción al inglés y la traducción, el inglés prevalece.

Al hacer clic en el enlace de traducción se activa un servicio de traducción gratuito para convertir la página al español. Al igual que con cualquier traducción por Internet, la conversión no es sensible al contexto y puede que no traduzca el texto en su significado original. NC State Extension no garantiza la exactitud del texto traducido. Por favor, tenga en cuenta que algunas aplicaciones y/o servicios pueden no funcionar como se espera cuando se traducen.

English is the controlling language of this page. To the extent there is any conflict between the English text and the translation, English controls.

Clicking on the translation link activates a free translation service to convert the page to Spanish. As with any Internet translation, the conversion is not context-sensitive and may not translate the text to its original meaning. NC State Extension does not guarantee the accuracy of the translated text. Please note that some applications and/or services may not function as expected when translated.

Collapse ▲

This spring, N.C. Cooperative Extension of Macon County offered a virtual succession of classes entitled “Gardening in the Mountains.” This series included 7 seminars on strawberries, blueberries, caneberries, grapes, fruit trees, gardening basics, and organic gardening strategies. Each class covered essential horticulture information in the areas of site selection, fertility practices, plant selection, pest control, pruning and harvesting techniques, and organic practices. A total of 117 attendees joined the virtual series, with about half attending more than 1 class. The majority of the class participants were from the Western region of North Carolina, but over 16 counties were represented across the state; from 7 additional states, and 2 other countries.

Evaluation data collected through an online survey after each class reported 100% of the participants learned something new through attending the series. While 11% of attendees were already utilizing some of the recommended techniques, the remaining 89% expressed their intent to start using the best practices they learned such as changing the way they manage their pests, changing the way they manage their soils, and fertility practices along with plans to utilize organic strategies. The most popular seminars in the series were on how to grow blueberries, followed by strawberries, and then how to start a blackberry and raspberry (caneberries) patch.

Grapes

Grapes